***

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

When are they too old?

While on yet another trip to Mississippi this past weekend, we stopped in at a country gas station for knick nacks and to stretch our legs.  After we had all picked out our treats, we approached the very nice cashier.  He was talking to Madelyn and just carrying on a very casual conversation.  During this time, Madelyn asked me to pick her up and without thought, I did.   He then said something that struck a  nerve.  Not too bad, just made me wonder....  He said, "How old is she?" So I told him and he then continued to say, "And you're still holding her?" 

I mean, the guy didn't say it in a rude way, and I'm sure he didn't mean it the way I took it because he eventually clarified that his nephew or son (I can't remember which) was one and a half and would NOT let anyone hold him anymore.  My motherly instinct to the comment (completely answered in my mind thank goodness) was "Well of course I still hold her! Why wouldn't I?!" (with very offended tone of voice.) 

So, my thoughts on this are:  Until the day has come that my baby is too heavy for me to hold, I will hold her if the opportunity presents itself.  Obviously, I won't carry her around when she's seven or eight and I'm sure that when the day comes for us to have baby #2 I'll be a little more cautious as well, but I see nothing wrong with stealing a little love while I can.  And althought I have my days where I get incredibly frustrated with Madelyn and really just want to lock myself in my room for a little "me time",  I truly believe that we should cherish our children every day.  I am aware that way too many children are taken from us much sooner than we'd like.  Some before even given a chance to see this crazy world, others from unforseen illnesses or tragic incidents. Honestly, it's just heartbreaking either way you look at it.  I am so blessed that God has given me such a great opportunity and the title of "Mother." 

And honestly, although I don't really give a Poo if someone looks down on me for choosing to hold Madelyn any time I see fit, what are you feelings on it?  When is a child too old to be held? 

Since I think every post is better with a few pics, here are a couple from our visit!

Posing :)

Loves to fish!

Finally just gave up and fell asleep while riding Papaw's horse. 

No comments: