***

Monday, January 24, 2011

Yep, I've lost it...

My mind.  I've lost my mind... At the end of April 2010, my friend and I began our journey through the couch to 5k program.  It worked out well for us, and I did my first 5k race in the beginning of October (I did well, if I may say so myself).  After that, I slacked off a bit, and just ran the three miles every so often in order to just make sure I didn't quit completely.  I ran, but I ran to relax if that makes sense.....

Fast forward to the first of Jan:  My mom called me about a new race that will be held here in April.  She was so excited because I had mentioned that I feel like I need a race in order to have a goal and really push myself and she thought this was the perfect one!  She was telling me that she has heard it on the radio and it was called the Iron Girl  ( you know, like the IronMan but just the running part).  I was a little leary about it because I know the Iron Man is something people train diligently for and I KNOW I'm nowhere near that.  So, I researched it.  Well, it's a half marathon.  For those of you like my mother who have no idea what that means, that is 13.1 miles.  The only race I've done: 3.1 miles.  See the difference?  So, I told her she was crazy and laughed it off.


Present:  I have no idea why, but the thought kept creeping up in my mind.  I sat down with my calendar, made a training plan, and began to wonder if I could do it.  Then, in church one day, they happened to show a little video (which is really rare).  And wouldn't you know it..... They were talking about goals and the person said "perhaps your goal is to finish a marathon".  So, that being said, I'm working toward that half marathon!  Yep, I'm going to run 13.1 miles in April (hopefully) and I will have been running only a year.

 I'm at 4.5 miles as of now, and plan to work my way up each week.  My goal for most weeks will be a mile a week.  I'm on hold for a few days because I've strained my knee and don't want to completely ruin everything I've worked for.  I can say that my mind is finally to the point where I can zone out and just run. I don't get short winded anymore either.  So, with exception of worrying about the physical strain on my body, I'm good to go.  I know I'm nuts!  But, with help from God and the encouragement from you guys and others, I hope to be able to be writing to you guys in April about the race :) 

**** I also wanted to take a second to brag on Madelyn!  When I finish my runs, I let her out of the stroller to "run" with me.  I clocked her at .48 miles and she had already run a lot before I thought to clock her!  This means that my 2 1/2 year old child probably ran about 3/4 mile in one stretch!!!!! That is ridiculously crazy!! I'm so proud that she wants to run.  I don't really care if she runs, I'm just happy that she enjoys getting outside and being active :) ****

1 comment:

Heather said...

You are going to do great! So proud of you!