***

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Man I'm boring...

Sometime Tuesday night, I came to realize something.  I can no longer carry an interesting conversation with people who do not have children.  How sad is this?  Okay, well, maybe mostly guys, because girls don't usually mind you babbling on about your child, but still.  I mean, I've always been a little reserved around people I don't know, but those I've been friends with for years?? 

I can't believe it's taken me this long to notice this but it has.  While driving back from MS this past weekend, we stopped to have lunch with a college friend of ours.  I did have to focus on a slightly irritable child, but thinking about it, I think I may have said a total of ten words directly to our friend.  I'm sure they were about Madelyn too!  Then on Monday, we had lunch with another friend who had been visiting and I felt like a total outsider.  Seriously, I should have just taken Madelyn to play while Jeremy had lunch. 

I don't really know how much this bothers me, but I do find it rather comical.  It's like I've left one "club" in order to join another.  They don't understand us and we don't really have much in common anymore :( Really.  I can talk all day long to someone who has children.  I can even talk to people I barely know! But have me entertain someone single, I'm in trouble.  I wonder if I'd even be able to flirt anymore?!  If anyone would even find me "sexy" (other than my husband) and he came up to me, I imagine the conversation would go a little like this:  Hi.  I'm ___________ .  Care for a drink?  Me: No thanks!  I don't want to get home too late.  My daughter will have me up pretty early and hangovers with a two year old are no fun!  FAIL. And don't even get me started on dancing!  Ha! I couldn't even do that BEFORE Madelyn!  It's a good thing I'm happily married and won't have to be submitted to that again, God willing!    I guess I've truly closed that chapter in my life where I wore cute flirty little outfits and pranced around like I knew I was hotstuff.  Now it's more conservative, practical, yet still very cute outfits and my scene is the park instead of bars...Oh how times have changed.... 

No comments: