***

Monday, April 5, 2010

My fur babies

While Madelyn was napping (a very short nap at that), I looked down from the couch at my sweet baby boys.  They were practically begging me to love on them.  After I got on the floor and hung out with them, I realized that I haven't said much about my boys on here.  I know I always post pictures of Madelyn with them or of the things she does to them, but I never just talk about them.  That being said, here goes...
Bruce, our Great Dane, is such a wonderful big baby.  He weighs way more than me, but is honestly the "baby" of the house.  He has such a kind heart.   We got Bruce in college when he was 2 from a Great Dane rescue.  His entire family was starved to death and he was the only one left.  My poor baby :( The lady who took him in got him back into shape and worked with him on "manners".  For the first six months or so, he wouldn't let anyone near me and slept on my side of bed.  He would only cooperate with me.  (He and Harley never had any problems.) When we finally felt that he'd be okay around others, we began our quest to get him "comfortable".  It took many trips to the football games, ball fields and fraternity house but he eventually came around.  Many years have passed and he is perfectly fine. All he ever asks for is love... and some table scraps.  Every once in a while something will trigger his nerves and we'll have to soothe him. He HATES bad weather and will literally curl himself around the toilet.   As you've seen, Madelyn jumps all over him. She's just like that taunting little sister. She bugs him all the time, but he never lets it get to him. He just lets her do whatever it is she wants.  He's such a big (no pun intended) part of our family...
Harley, my pug, is my sweet baby boy.  He joined me when I was a junior in high school and has been with me ever since.  We took a brief vacation from each other about a month in college, but I quickly came back for him.  He's been through a lot with me and has always been there.  Before we banned them from the bed and couch, he would always curl up with me and cuddle.  He knew when I needed him.  He's extremely hard headed and stubborn and typically only listens to me (definately takes after his owner).  He will mark his spot on every blade of grass in sight and makes it impossible to enjoy a walk around the block.  He's pretty easy going and almost no trouble.  He is, however, the one who, every once in a while, I have to clean up after...His favorite thing in the entire world is to curl up underneath some blankets.  Although he rarely gets to do this anymore, he still savors it occasionally. Jeremy used to say I loved Harley more than him.  I'd joke with him all the time about who I'd save first if they were both drowning.  I did have a pretty good answer though..."Harley can't swim very well and he'd have a hard time holding on the the lifesaver. So, I'd throw Jeremy the lifesaver and jump in after Harley."   Harley definately just tolerates Madelyn.  She plays dress up with him, hugs him, kisses him, feeds him, chases him and sings with him.  I'm sure he misses the days when he was the baby, but he handles Madelyn pretty well. 
Jeremy and I really lucked out to have such mild tempered boys around Madelyn.  I would have been SO devistated if they hadn't gotten along with her. They've been so great with her and adjusting to all the changes we've had to make.  Bruce is her best buddy and I truly think if given the opportunity, he'd protect her.  They are my boys and I am so glad they are a part of our family.  (Watching Madelyn and Harley snuggle under a blanket at this very moment.) Just wanted to share a little about the other part of our family :)

PS- I'll do an Easter post later....

2 comments:

Lindsey B said...

Harley used to cuddle me at Alex's apartment when David would watch him. Love that dog! And love Bruce too!

~Brit said...

awe! He is a cuddle bug :) I love him too...and Bruce haha