***

Friday, July 2, 2010

Overprotective Mommy Moment

Madelyn woke up yesterday morning with like a thousand little red bumps all over her arms, legs, feet, and a few on her face.  Okay, not really a thousand, but enough for me to worry.  I typically don't worry about rashes but she also typically doesn't get them either.  So I racked my brain for what in the world could have caused these bumps on her and what I have to put on them.  My thoughts were:  Madelyn hadn't gotten attacked by mosquitos since last week (in which case she didn't even have any bumps), she did have a different smoothie than she's used to and in that is raspberries which I don't think she's had (but Jeremy swears she's had them in a yogurt before), she didn't go outside at all the day before,  and  HOLY CRAP!!!! Chicken Pox.

I called my mom to get some advice.  She is a nurse and well, let's face it, most mommies call their mommies when something is wrong with their babies.  It's been a while since she's worked with general patients so she looked some stuff up for me.  Here's the overview.  If it is chicken pox, she would have gotten them two days  ago.  It would take a week for her to not be contageous (not cool), BUT she should also have a low fever.  She told me to go ahead and call the doc.

Called Jeremy.  Told him everything.  He said to go ahead and call the doc.  (He knows me and knows that if I'm truly worried about Madelyn, then it must be severe enough to worry.) 

I called the doc and talked to a nurse. I explained that she has a rash that popped up literally overnight and that it wasn't on her torso and I just needed to know if she was having a reaction or if it were something more serious.  Of course, she had me come in.  Here we go.....me with no makeup, dirty hair, hairy legs and Madelyn with stickers all over her and a nice array of red bumps to accessorize her outfit. 

All I could think about on the way there was that my poor nephew was doomed to have Chicken Pox too since he was with Madelyn for two days straight, and oh my gosh!  My friends are going to KILL me for exposing their children to this junk and oh no.... you've got to be kidding!  This is totally going to mess up our vacation to Disney this weekend!  No way!  If it's chicken pox, Madelyn won't be able to go anywhere, and poor Asher will probably catch it, which will ruin his birthday weekend, and we'll be the cause of a cancelled trip :(    Great.

We entered through the back door at the doctor's office, like lepars, and followed the nurse to the nearest room.  Waited.  Waited.  WAITED. 

Doc came in and took a look.  Did his assessment and came up with his diagnosis.  Wanna know what it was?  You'll get a real kick out of this.  Apparently, while Madelyn was sleeping, a mosquito was trapped in her room and went to town on her.  ALL those bumps were the product of a freakin mosquito.  He explained to he how he came about this conclusion and I was relieved but concerned at the same time.  What the crap do I do now?  Spray her with bug spray every night before she goes to bed? 

Left the doc and called everyone to tell them the news.  I still worried about what others would think when they saw a child with all these bumps all over her.I should have taken a pic of her when the were at the worst to show you guys.  I mean, if I saw a child that looked like that, I'd automatically wonder if it were chicken pox and why the heck this parent has their child in public. 

Anyway, then it hit me.  hahahahahah I REALLY just took my child to the doctor for mosquito bites!  Oh Lord.  I bet he thought I was nuts!  Seriously though, I mean, I would have thought for her to have THAT MANY bites, she would have had to walk into a  swarm of bugs. Oh well. Let's just stash this away for when she's a teenager and needs yet another reason to think I'm totally uncool. 

2 comments:

Lindsey B said...

Don't feel bad - it is better to be safe tan sorry. I so am going to be at the Pedi's office every freaking day worried about something...

Heather said...

Oh sweetie, don't stress about this! I would have done the same thing and I am a peds nurse! If it had been chicken pox, it would have been better to find out before you went to Disney instead of Madelyn having a meltdown there because she felt so bad! =)