***

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Birthday Ballons



Yesterday was Jeremy's 25th birthday! Happy birthday to the best husband I could ever ask for!!! Oh how I wanted it to be so special and unforgettable, but,things happen. So, instead of the huge birthday surprise-- having friends come in and go on a fishing trip (which thank goodness this didn't happen because it is unusually cold here), we had a small family "party" instead.
Since he was turning 25, I got the bright idea to get him 25 gifts-- things he needed or that I knew he liked. This was not an easy task. We got him several silly things like a pack of gum that he likes and some chips he likes. We also got him a nice shirt to wear to church and swim trunks and flip flops. I also typed up 25 things I love about him (get it--25 things?!) and put it into a pretty frame. A little serious mixed with some goofy. Just like Jeremy himself.

All the gifts were in a cute basket from Target and sitting on the table with his cake full of lit candles and balloons above. Decorations were lacking. This being due to little surprise he gave us...he came home early for his birthday! All I was able to do was blow up some balloons, and since Madelyn happens to LOVE balloons, I was unable to pry them away from her to hang them. So, we compromised. I got a few for the lights, and she got a lot for the ground :)

AHH I was so rushed to get things halfway completed. Because he was coming home early, I placed the chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge on top of stuff. When I went in to get something else out, they came tumbling down... saved, but not pretty anymore. The cake had to come straight out of the oven and get topped with icing which I knew would melt. Sure enough, the cake looked pretty pitiful with melted icing. It certainly was one of the saddest looking cakes I've ever made. Madelyn and I had yet to have baths and neither of us were dressed for the occasion. Wrapping presents was a challenge. We ran out of the birthday paper I had gotten and Madelyn was not feeling well, so I had to think a little. Since this is my husband, and I knew he wouldn't mind and that no one else would see, I just took some other wrapping paper and used the white side. Uh oh, another bump in the road. Ran out of tape! Glue stick to the rescue! haha!!! By the time I was finished, my wrapping job looked like Madelyn did it. AGAIN, I would NOT do this for anyone other than Jeremy. But hey, it's what's inside that counts right?! Anyway, Jeremy got home, blew out candles, and opened the 25 rather challenged gifts!

Afterwards, we took Madelyn to the park and kicked the football (Jeremy was a punter in high school and college). I got some great pics of Madelyn and we had a wonderful time just the three of us :) Finally, we went to eat Japanese-Jeremy's absolute FAVORITE meal. All in all, I think it turned out nice. I hope he enjoyed his day as much as Madelyn and I did. We absolutely LOVE it when he surprises us by coming home early...even when it "ruins" plans. Again, Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband and the best daddy in the world!!







1 comment:

Brooke said...

I loved reading this! Cute family story