***

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chain Reaction!

   As you all know, I've started my running program and will be on week three next week!! Yay for us!  It is now a part of our routine and Madelyn looks forward to "running" with her friend Elle!  At the end of the run, Madelyn stretches with me and is so cute doing so.  It is so nice--yet hot-- and we even get to see some dolphins every now and then!  Yesterday, they visited us with a baby dolphin too!  It was a very special birthday present for Madelyn :)  Anyway, it's going really well and I definately recommend this program to anyone who is looking to get started!
   With this new routine, I've tried to keep my meals and snacks a little healthier and in turn, Madelyn's as well.  My lunches have been chicken salad wraps, salads with lots of veggies and chicken, and things in comparison.  I've really been observant of the things I've been eating lately and think there is definately room for improvement.  I'm not really as concerned for myself as I am for Madelyn.
  I noticed this past weekend that Madelyn wasn't really eating the way I'd like her to.  For example, I'd order her mac n cheese (which I know isn't the best either) but as long as someone was sitting right there offering her chips, she's going to take the chips.  I definately noticed that Madelyn is incredibly influenced by what the people around her are eating.  SO, after this past weekend, I will ABSOLUTELY say something to the person who is altering her meals, or remind myself if it happens to be me.  I cannot have Madelyn thinking that it's okay to make a meal out of potato chips.  Now I'm not saying I will get completely healthy and not ever give her "treats" or that she will even have an entire week of balanced meals.  However, I am definately beginning to be more observant of what she puts in her mouth.  I'm not worried about her being obese, I just want her to be given the knowledge and the opportunity to be steered in the right direction and make the right choices for her body.
  We began a few weeks back offering her water before anything else she drinks.  It really helps that her friend Elle drinks tons of water!  She's doing pretty well with it although she still prefers other drinks.  There are times when I only offer water and if she's thirsty enough, she'll drink it.  Her lunches this week have been accompanied by at least one fruit.  This is simple and Madelyn LOVES fruit anyway. 
  Today, I made her a really silly excuse for a bento lunch but it was filled with "good" stuff!  Almonds, celery with peanut butter and raisins, baked chicken, blueberries, carrots and cheese.  I made myself a salad with chicken and carrots, celery, and cheese.  Madelyn chose to eat my salad before her lunch and she ate almost all of my lettuce.  Now, she's snacking on her almonds and carrots.  She hasn't asked me for ONE cookie or her spaghettios.  (By the way, the sodium in one little thing of spaghettios is RIDICULOUS and the fact that I lived off ravioli and ramen noodles in college and didn't get fat amazes me.) She is eating what I've given her and enjoying it. I mean, how easy is it to make her meatballs and spaghetti and it's way better for her. Yes, I will still give her these things sometimes.  No, I don't want to have the child that doesn't know what chocolate tastes like (I love it too much myself). So if you see me giving Madelyn something that isn't the absolute best for her, please don't condemn me.  I just want her to learn that everything is okay in moderation.  I absolutely knew she would eat what I placed in front of her.  Whether it's good for her or not.   So, is it really right for me, or anyone else, to offer her junk just because it's easier?

No comments: