***

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Job Description

I have recently stumbled upon yet another requirement of being a stay at home mom. Okay, so not really a requirement, but more or less something that most of us with toddlers all have in common.

Even when we are not watching it, the television usually stays on during the day just for the background noise.  Before Madelyn, I usually had some sort of pregnancy documentary or chick flick type show on while preparing dinner or washing clothes or whatever it was I was doing.  Now, I promise you, at any given moment (until around 7:00 or 8:00) that if you were to walk into my house, Noggin, Nickelodeon, PBS, or a child related dvd would definately be on. ( I do watch the shows I want in the evenings and she is perfectly fine with it--NO she doesn't tell us what to watch & when to watch it!)  She doesn't even watch tv most of the time!  Madelyn is usually in her playroom making tea or cooking something yummy for mommy but we still listen to her shows.  I find myself rocking out to Yo Gabba Gabba or Wonder Pets atleast twice a week.  I guarantee you I could hold a decent conversation with almost any toddler about what is going on with just about any show imaginable. 

Now, I am not saying all of this to be judged by those of you who don't let you child watch any television.  If you are one of those people, more power to you!  But please, keep your negative thoughts to yourself, I really don't feel like having to defend my parenting style (I know I'm not perfect).  Just stating a common factor that I've noticed between a few mothers and myself :) 

No comments: