***

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I've said it a thousand times...

My baby isn't a baby anymore. I'm so very proud of her and her achievements, but so very sad that she's growing up.  I've seen her do very "grown up" things before and, of course, raved about it to you guys.  However, I do believe yesterday was the topper.

On days that I wash clothes, we usually have a "lazy" day where we stay in our pjs until I'm finished washing.  So, Madelyn was in her Mermaid gown and one of her dress up tutus.  She came to me while I was busy doing something and said she wanted to get dressed.  I told her to give me a few minutes and that I would go pick out her clothes for the day.  I go back to my chore and she runs off to play...I thought. 

Shortly after, she came running back with a dress in hand that I knew she had managed to pull out of her closet!  I was slightly amused at what she had done and it was only getting better.  She then said, "I dress myself, Mommy." She proceeded to take off her gown, tutu and old panties and, with a little verbal direction from me, she slipped her dress over her head and found the arm holes.  Yes, I know this sounds very simple.  However, to a two year old, this is a work of art!  The dress she had picked out was one that is just a little big on her but I just didn't have the heart to tell her she couldn't wear it when she'd gone through all that trouble.

When she wasn't looking, I walked into her room to scan for disasters she'd made while picking out her dress.  NOTHING.  Her closet was already open, but she had turned the light on all by herself, tugged the dress off the hanger, and opened the only drawer she could reach in search of her panties.  Okay, again, I know this doesn't sound like much to most of you.  In fact, I know it's a little dull and boring.  But to me, it's BIG!  Next thing I know, she'll be doing the dishes and washing the clothes.......Hey, a girl can dream right?!

At the risk of sounding like one of the several thousand people who bug the mess out of us when our babies are just babies,  hold them tight and don't rush things.  They grow up SO fast. 

No comments: