***

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

ugh! The nerve!

I am SO fired up right now!  I just don't get some people and why they feel the need to open their big fat mouths.  Well, in this case, let their fingers do the talking!  Futhermore, if you are going to proceed in that direction, the least you can do is step up and take the credit.  I know I know... You are wondering what the heck I'm talking about.  Let me warn you that I bit my tongue a bit (trying something new these days) and I am more than likely going to say what I truly wanted to say. 

A friend of mine just had her first baby and has been wonderful at keeping us all informed via her blog.  She talks about the typical stuff.  You know, the lack of sleep, food, baby's progress, etc.  I checked it today and she talked about her baby's trouble with the formula she's been taking and the fact that they will be switching it once again.  Okay.  I get it.  If one thing doesn't work, try another.  No big deal right?   I scrolled down to post a comment and happened upon a comment that truly made me cringe. 

Anonymous wrote something about breastfeeding minimizing the chances of baby having stomach issues (I'm completely fine with someone giving a little advice.)  and then BAM!  There it was!  "Too bad you didn't do that for your baby."  Are you kidding me??   How DARE someone make a comment like that.  I mean, I may have read it in the wrong context, but what other way do you take it?  I saw it as a snide remark belittling the women who, for whatever reason, did not breast feed.  And directly putting down on my friend!  This person either didn't know her in college very well, OR was flat out asking for my friend to drop kick her computer style! 

I have several problems with this comment.  One, unless you are close to the person in question, you don't know their circumstances or the reasons for the decisions made.  Don't judge others simply because it's something you would/wouldn't do.  Two, don't make snide remarks on a person's personal blog.  It's just childish and achieves nothing but firing up that person and the people who care most for him/her.  Third and final, if you still feel the need to make this type of comment, grow some balls (or tits I guess??) and be proud of who you are.  Don't hide behind "anonymous".  If you feel strongly enough to comment, then you should be more than willing to stand up for what you said and take the wrath that is sure to come. 

 Although I haven't personally seen my friend in action, she's a GREAT mother already and puts her daughter first in every decision.  If you ever want to know someone who will truly cherish the gift of a child and that of being a mom, she's the one to seek.  Now believe me, we've had our moments where we didn't feel very fond of each other.  I know this post makes it sound as if we are "bffs 48".  Trust me, that is simply not the case.  However, as we grew up, we (or maybe just I?) began to respect the choices the other makes and see her for the adult she is, not the college student she was. 

** I did not breast feed.  However, I am not personally offended by the person's remark.  Honestly.  I really could care less about people thinking I was wrong in my choice.  I was fully prepared to be flamed for my decision. **

Thinking back, I bet that person thinks I was PERSONALLY offended.  Crap.  I shouldn't have gone on about how I didn't breast feed and that Madelyn was perfectly healthy.  But I was trying to make a point.  Darn it.  Hmm....Maybe that person will mosey on over to my blog so that he/she can see how I really feel. 

Well, thanks for letting me get that out of my system.  Much better now. 

1 comment:

Lindsey B said...

You are too sweet. I saw the comment and just had to let it go. I know I am making the right decisions for my family and don't really care what someone who lacks the balls to say who they are thinks.

And yes, you are so right - we've had our differences but, I totally respect the adult and mom you are! You are wonderful at what you do - Madelyn and Jeremy are lucky to have you!