***

Monday, March 8, 2010

So thankful.

  Madelyn was SUCH a handful this weekend.  She wasn't sleeping well, had us up unusually early, didn't really nap, and was super whiney.  Honestly, there were moments I wanted to lose it and SCREAM to the top of my lungs.  She didn't have any fever, didn't seem like her tummy hurt, I didn't feel any new teeth, nothing.  It was just one of "those" weekends.  There was nothing I could do.  Just about the time I'd want to be a little more stern and lose my temper, little Layla Grace came into mind.  Every Time.
  I am seriously not overexagerating on this at all.  It doesn't matter how big of a headache I had, or that I had to just walk away for a few minutes--to get my bearings straight--or that I looked like "that parent" who couldn't control her child.  The second Layla Grace entered my mind, I just got down on Madelyn's level, spoke softly, and went on our way.  I was taking a step back and remembering that I'd much rather have this child than one who is fighting for her life.  I'd take a million days of Madelyn on her very worst day than to have to put myself in Layla Grace's parents' position. For those of you who are unaware of who I am talking about, Layla Grace is a little girl who was diagnosed with cancer at 18 months old, I believe.
  They are currently sitting.  Waiting.  Praying that God takes her with as little pain as possible.  I think she's been lying there for going on two weeks now.  Seriously, if your heart can take it, having insight into this family's fight is reason enough  to take a look at how you view your own life.    Having a young daughter myself, I can only imagine the pain the entire family is going through.   I couldn't and wouldn't want to imagine fighting for over a year to save my daughter and then, in the end, having to watch her die.  This family's faith in God is the strongest I've ever seen.  Instead of kicking and screaming and blaming (which is quite possibly what I might do), they have held on tight to the knowledge that God has a plan for their beautiful little girl.
  After going through what they already have, and now waiting for Layla's last breath, they still have bills upon bills to cover as well.  Now lets be honest here.  Yes, we have bills.  AND we have a house in South Carolina that we're trying to rent out which is forcing us to pay two house bills again.  Jeremy is still busting his hiney to work his way back up in his new job.  I am missing my friends in Mississippi like crazy, and have no way of seeing them until next month.  My nephew is going back to his mom's this week and we won't see him again until May.  And, as some of you may already know via previous post, my mom isn't doing so hot right now and who knows where that will end up.   
 But, none of this, NONE OF THIS, is as bad as what this family is going through.  There are so many people out there who have it way worse than us.  We are so incredibly blessed and rarely take the time to notice and be thankful. We have our family, we have clothes, we have food, we sleep comfortably, I could go on and on but I'll spare you.  Therefore I leave you with this:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: